Re: Adding cisco traps?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Adding cisco traps?
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:36:41 -0400

Well, 6.0.1 is generally available and you should call I-800-TIVOLI-8 or send a
note to swdist@tivoli.com and order it.

nvaddtrapdconf basically merges two trapd.conf file together, so you would need
a trapd.conf which already had the Cisco traps you want in it in order to use
it, and the one in NetView for Solaris 6.0.1 in
/usr/OV/newconfig/OVSNMP-RUN/trapd.conf has many Cisco traps already defined.
So you could use that one else you will have to get one somewhere else (from
some other user?)

But if you are having a problem with only a few traps then you could just do
them by hand using xnmtrap, since everything that is in the trap is explained in
the unformatted message.

As for the ruleset editor, it is true that the Trap Settings node relies on
having the trap in trapd.conf but that is not the only way to specify a trap.
You could just as well use the Event Attributes node, which would allow you to
manually specify the enterprise id.  And then another one could be used for the
specific id.

If none of these ideas appeals to you, you can go out to the Cisco website and
get MIBs and scripts from them and have at it.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

Clarence Hart <rti1clh@ismd.ups.com> on 09/28/2000 01:08:03 PM