Re: Problem with NetView update to 6.0 on UNIX

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problem with NetView update to 6.0 on UNIX
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:18:23 -0400
Yes, you can increase the description field in trapd.conf to over 99 words
again after you update, if this is what you want to do.  But I don't think
it is a good idea.  In all the cases I have seen so far the traps with
excessive descriptions could have said the same thing in far less verbiage,
and the description field was filled with information added there by a
vendor who was trying to use it for some other purpose ( like operator
training or version identification).  Since this file gets loaded into
storage it is not a good idea to have such a large description in the first
place, but if that is what you want, have at it.

As for ailed install recovery, I thought this was covered in the 6.0
Release Notes and  Installation manual in exhaustive detail, because it
depends on how and where your install fails, how you should recover.  but
if you are on AIX, I recommend that you just do a mksysb before you start.
Then you can recover the whole system easily and start over any time you
want.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT