Re: Cannot start actionsvr

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Cannot start actionsvr
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:41:46 -0500
Actionsvr has a log, nvaction.alog/blog, which may have been used to give
you a clue as to the nature of the problem.  But The contents of  alog get
written to blog on restart, so you may have already overlaid and clues.
You should also check /usr/OV/PD/cores/actionsvr and see if you had one.

One way this might happen is if the actions specified in your rulesets are
not completing.  Actionsvr spawns a new process to do every new action.
Since these new processes, called "actionsvr" also, inherit the paren't
environment, including his open sockets and fd's, if  those spawned
processes are still running, then the actionsvr you started will not be
able to open his well-known socket (1670 in /etc/services) and he will then
not start.  My advice is to do "ps -ef  | grep actionsvr" if this happens
again, and see how many you have running and kill them before proceeding.
That's all you should have to do to get it restarted.   Actionsvr has
nothing to do with the databases so restoring that will have no effect.
But if this is truly, your problem, then you should start trying to figure
out what is going wrong with your actions in those rulesets.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Ray Westphal" <rwestphal@erac.com> on 10/30/2000 09:13:45 AM