RE: Duplicate ip addresses in network.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Duplicate ip addresses in network.
From: "Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:32:07 -0500
Don't tell anyone! That is a defect, and occurrs on NT only.

Detroit

DE SCHUTTER EMMANUEL <Emmanuel.DESCHUTTER@fortisbank.com>@tkg.com on
11/10/2000 08:48:00 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com

To:   "'IBM NetView Discussion'" <nv-l@tkg.com>
cc:
Subject:  RE: [NV-L] Duplicate ip addresses in network.

Leslie,

I don't know if you are exactly right about the discovery of a device with
multiple IP addresses.
On my system (Netview V6.0.1 for NT), I configured my seed file to ignore 2
interfaces of a total of 5 interfaces of a device. Then, I launched a new
discovery with the options "Discover with seed file" and "Discover seed
nodes Only".

When the discovery completed, the device showed only 3 interfaces, as
requested (The 2 interfaces defined as negative entries weren't discovered
by netmon). Finally, even after a nmdemandpoll on this device, both
interfaces weren't discovered.

So are you sure that "regardless of the type of device, if you discover one
interface it will discover all of them ?". Maybe the way that netmon works
is platform related (NT/UNIX) ?

E. De Schutter
Compaq