Re: Netview 5.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview 5.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3
From: "Dean Grant" <dgrant@aholdusa.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:28:59 -0500

NetView runs fine on AIX 4.3.3. Couple of things you may want to watch out for
though. 4.3.3 has IPv6 code in it, and some things do not always work as
expected. You may have to setup your /etc/netsvc.conf to "hosts=bind4,local" to
not use bind 8, which is part of the new code and the defauly if you specifiy
"hosts=bind,local".

The real problem we ran into with 4.3.3 is the default AIX install changed the
language environment from IBM 850 English United States to I believe ISO 8859
English United States. you can check this in /etc/environment. The parameter in
question is Lang=En_US, which is what it will be set to for IBM 850. ISO 8859
will set it to Lang=en_US. The NetView 5.1.2 install does not pick this up
(although interestingly enough, the NV 6.0 install does). NetView will run with
ISO 8859, but you will get very weird results, especially with collections.

Talking to my SA's they said that when they built the system they did a normal
install, so the install defaults may have changed between AIX 4.3.2 and 4.3.3.
Its simple enough to load down the right environment though.

That's all we ran into.

Dean Grant
Ahold Information Services

|--------+------------------------------------>
|        |          CHANCELLOR.D.ELLIS@customs|
|        |          .treas.gov                |
|        |                                    |
|        |          11/27/2000 11:42 AM       |
|        |          Please respond to IBM     |
|        |          NetView Discussion        |
  |       To:     nv-l@tkg.com                                        |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Dean Grant/AIS/US/Ahold)                      |
  |       Subject:     [NV-L] Netview 5.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3              |

     Does anyone know if there arte any problems running Netview 5.1.2 on
     AIX 4.3.3?

     Thanks