RE: Trapping Node Up /Node Down

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Trapping Node Up /Node Down
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:49:26 -0800
Ray,
These are events that NetView generates when it discovers a node down.

The sequence would be:
  a)  NetView (netmon) pings and interface and it fails.
  b)  If there was only one interface, and it was down, then this would
generate
        a node-down event.  If there were multiple interafaces... then "Node
Marginal".
  c)  If all interfaces are down... then a "Node Down" is generated.
  d)  When all interfaces are available, then a "Node Up" occurs.

You might want to experiment with Interface Up/Down also (rather than node
up/down).

The ovaction command will probably be something like...

/usr/OV/bin/nvpage myID@att "$2 $3"

The $2 = Node
The $3 = Msg

If you want the interface-addr, then that is the 1st word of $4.

Regards,

Gary Boyles, Intel