RE: Router CPU usage high

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Router CPU usage high
From: Stephen Elliott <selliott@epicrealm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:47:51 -0600
Michael,

In order to help isolate which NV process might be impacting your router,
you might want to turn off Discover New Nodes and Poll for Configuration
Changes under Options, Topology/Status Polling Intervals. This should limit
NetView's activity to status polling only (Readers, please correct me if I'm
wrong on this). Then reverse the process one function at a time to see which
one is causing the additional load. Based on your findings, the next step
would be to tune the parameters for that function to something that doesn't
load the router down.

If this doesn't help ID the offending process, then either Michael Siebold's
suggestion is in order (debug SNMP on the router), or Sniff out NetView's
output to that router to see what particular poll is causing the damage.

Regards,

Steve Elliott
Sr. Network Mgmt. Engineer
epicRealm, Inc.