RE: Cisco Line Description

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Cisco Line Description
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 22:59:42 -0500
I used to always make a MIB appl for that one, but I am finding that
fewer and fewer Cisco devices populate that mib variable in the Local
mib file. So first off, I am curious as to whether you have found another
variable that holds that information on the newer devices. I could not find
one.

As for populating the object info with it (good for when the device is
down),
you will have to collect it with snmp. You could learn from the
Programmer's
manual how to register to learn when a new interface is added or changed,
and add your information at that time. Or you could take the brute force
approach, and just collect it from time to time and run an nvdbimport to
set the fields with any values you found on that run. Probably a lot
quicker
to implement.

So were you planning to associate this information with the interface
object, or the node object? I would expect it to be easy on the node,
hard on the interface, since there is no mapping between interface
instance and Selection Name of the interface object, for instance.
But another entry like the TopM Interface list might be ok. Check out
the mibtable command.

Detroit

Stephen Elliott <selliott@epicrealm.com>@tkg.com on 01/08/2001 12:08:32 PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com