RE: polling values

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: polling values
From: Stephen Elliott <selliott@epicrealm.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:20:47 -0600
Sarah,

I found the limits you are looking for via the online Help page in the SNMP
Configuration window. Each field has a description and value limits, if
applicable. You'll need Netscape installed to view them.

As far as what values to choose, that is almost always unique to each
network. It depends on how many interfaces are you polling, how many devices
are you scanning for config changes, etc. I've never had to customize this
much, others on this list may have and can provide more insight into just
how this can be done for large, very dynamic networks (if that's whet you
have). Networks I've managed have always been rather small (1750 nodes, 3200
interfaces, presently) and fixed, so I've been able to get by with polling
cycles of 5 minutes and configuration check and discovery cycles of 1 day.

Regards,

Steve Elliott
Sr. Network Mgmt. Engineer
epicRealm, Inc.