NetView and TEC 3.7

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView and TEC 3.7
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:29:39 +0000
Let me preface these comments by saying I know NetView will not
currently be supported with TEC 3.7, however I have to hope that it will
be some day so perhaps development is
listening................................

I have an environment with Framework 3.7 (yes - I know that isn't
officially supported with NetView yet but no problems so far), NetView
6.0.1 and Tivoli Integration Pack for NetView (TIPN).  Operating Systems
are AIX 4.3.3 and Solaris 2.6.

I have installed TEC 3.6, 3.6.1 and 3.6.2 - if you don't install those
first AND create whatever TEC Consoles you need, you can't create
old-style consoles once you are at TEC 3.7.

The TEC Console Console software of TEC 3.6 provided the very useful
ability for a TEC user to select a TEC event and then select the NetView
option off the TEC menu and swap to a NetView window, highlighting the
node referenced in the TEC event.  I find this very useful to be able to
cross-train TEC users to NetView.  This option is not provided with the
TEC 3.7 Java Console.  Events coming in from the NetView nvserverd TEC
adapter to TEC still work fine (though TEC 3.7 no longer ships
tecad_nv6k if anyone is still using that).

If you install TEC 3.7 before installing TIPN TEC Integration Adapter
then the NetView TEC Task Library doesn't get created - install TIPN
first & then upgrade TEC and you get the Task Library (with ping, demand
poll, Mib Browse, etc), but although the task runs (ie you get an ouput
window), you don't get your ping, demand poll etc.  Again, I suspect
this fuctionality was actually implemented in the TEC 3.6 Console
software but it was very good for cross training TEC people to do basic
NETWORK problem determination.  (The standard TEC Task Library works
fine in the new console)

I have to say at a first look, it feels like the TEC 3.7 developers have
never HEARD of NetView, much less TIPN.  Perhaps we can educate them???

Cheers,
Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565