Coexistence of NetView and OpenView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Coexistence of NetView and OpenView
From: Mike Guik <wombat_at_large@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:52:49 -0800 (PST)
Hello everyone,

We are using NetView 6.01 integrated with TEC for
determination whether a heartbeat event is caused by
a host being down or by a router interface being down
(Router Fault Isolation).  Our Network support group
uses OpenView and they don't monitor any nodes - only
routers and switches.  They are concerned if our use
of NV could lead to a heavy additional load to the
network.
We have restricted the list on servers we monitor -
all of them are listed in seed file and New Node
discovery is turned off.

My question is
1) does anybody use NV along with HP OV;
2) what reliable metrics can be used to estimate
a load generated by NV? I emphasize "reliable" since
all measurement results are subject of debates with
the Network Group.
we can measure package ins/out of server network
interfaces and the Network group collects data on
router interfaces for subnets. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

            Mike