Re: Coexistence of NetView and OpenView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Coexistence of NetView and OpenView
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:03:53 -0500
I'm not sure you can be successful trying to win a political battle with
technical information.  If your Network guys don't like NetView and want it
out, and they dispute how you gather and measure its impact, then you are
probably doomed.  Why?  Because you are essentially duplicating each other.
Each of you monitors the same devices, so even if you both configure your
respective products to the minimum, then you still have twice as much
network traffic than you would with just one manager.  I am surprised that
the Network guys have not insisted that you add the OpenView  TEC adapter
to their OpenView to send events to TEC.  It is harder to configure than
the internal one shipped with NetView but it could be done.  As a NetView
guy I don't like the solution, but as a Tivoli guy, it seems reasonable to
settle the issue that way.

But to answer your question objectively, I would add a sniffer.  You can
tell precisely how big the pings are how frequent, and the same with the
SNMP config polls.
That should be vendor neutral.

But my opinion is that it is ludicrous of them to maintain that NetView has
any more chance of adding a lot of overhead to the network than OpenView ,
I think, because they both work essentially the same way -- configuration
by SNMP, status by ping.  You can control what we do in xnmsnmpconf.  I
don't know how they do it.  But the only potential for one of them to get
out of control is if someone deliberately messes with the polling parms
after set up, or turns new discovery on, and so on.  That could happen to
them as well as to you, depending on how tightly access is controlled.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

Mike Guik <wombat_at_large@yahoo.com>@tkg.com on 01/23/2001 02:52:49 PM