Re: setting up filters

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: setting up filters
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 07:37:52 -0500
Vynita -

You don't quite understand.  You cannot reduce the load on trapd with
filters.  He still has to get every trap and process it.  And then send it
to all the registered daemons.  Filters reduce what the operator sees but
they have no effect on the background processing.  All that still takes
place, and then to it you add filters in the GUI, which takes more machine
resources, not fewer.

There are only two ways to reduce the amount of traps going to the NetView
box.  One way is to not send so many.  Analyze you trapd.log and see who
the major contributors are and then change their configuration to not send
so many pointless traps.  Somebody had to configure those boxes, probably
routers to send those traps to NetView.  That somebody could just as well
-reconfigure that router to not send so many traps.  Most routers I have
seen are way to verbose.  As I said before, you should ask yourself, "will
anyone at the NetView box do anything when they see this trap?"  if the
answer is "no" then don't send it.

The only other thing you can do is get some other box to filter the traps
for you and have him send only what is necessary to NetView.  This is where
MLM comes in.  That is one of his major functions.  You can have every
source sends traps to the MLm and configure him only to send a small subset
to NetView, using his filtering and thresholding capabilities.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Pretorius, Vynita" <VPretorius@fnb.co.za>@tkg.com on 01/26/2001 07:03:47