RE: Netview and Cisco works presentation materials

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Netview and Cisco works presentation materials
From: "Yang, Peter" <peter.yang@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 13:46:41 -0500
I do not have any presentation material, but I did the installation in our
lab and here is what I learned. Forgive me if  I missed some fine points
somewhere along the products.  I have not attended the training course of
either product yet.

1. The integration between Netview and Ciscoworks200 is limited to following
area:

         - CiscoView is the only module from Ciscowork2000 that is
integrated with the Netview  commands.
        - Some Cisco unique attributes are updated to the Netview database
by the integration utility. So the registration file can identify the Cisco
switch or Cisco router device.
        - Other Ciscowork2000 modules like RME, Traffic director, campus
manager, CiscoServer etc are not integrated with Netview at all.  Netscape
is the only UNIX browser we know of to use the Ciscowork2000. I wrote a
simple registration file to start these Ciscoworks2000 applications from the
Netview command line. This is straightforward.

2. Ciscoworks2000 works only ( or work best) to Cisco Devices only.  My
initial naive thinking is to use them for other SNMP devices and it does not
work well. Netview is more suitable for this task. Of course Cisco never
recommends it either. This is user's mis-conception on the product ( it
means mine).

3. If you have many Cisco devices, Ciscoworks2000 may work good for you in
following area:

        - Cisco Software inventory control
        - Cisco Hardware configuration control
        - Diagnosis to Cisco devices and network
        - RMON monitor if you buy extra RMON devices, otherwise Traffic
Director does not do much( or I have not figured out yet)
        - If you use AIX, your Ciscoview has less plug-in capability( Visual
switch Mgmt supports Solaris and NT only)
        - CISCO uses snmp under the cover. Because it requires the SNMP
community name many times during my configuration task. User can use iptrace
or snoop  to find it o ut easily.
        - Topology control of VLAN to the switch port from a remote
location.
        - The view of Topology service under campus manager does not seem to
be that great.
        - Good ATM management capability.
        - Good VTP management capability.