Re: TEC Adapter Filter

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: TEC Adapter Filter
From: pweischer@mmm.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:39:53 +0100

Hello Leslie,
I tried to do the configuration it by hand but I did not find detailed
information regarding these filter files.
The tool you mentioned in your note, the java based TecAdapter Configuration
tool, seems to be what we need, but I could not find anything about it, neither
in the NetView documentation nor on the Tivoli Web page.

Can you tell me where I can get this tool?

Peter

|--------+------------------------->
|        |          "Leslie Clark" |
|        |          <lclark@us.ibm.|
|        |          com>           |
|        |                         |
|        |          13.02.2001     |
|        |          08:10          |
|        |          Please respond |
|        |          to IBM NetView |
|        |          Discussion     |
|        |                         |
|--------+------------------------->
  |     To:     IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l@tkg.com>                          |
  |     cc:     (bcc: Peter Weischer/GE-Europe/3M/US)                          |
  |     Subject:     Re: [NV-L] TEC Adapter Filter                             |

Peter, I have not used the new TecAdapter Configurator, but I
have done this by hand, and just reviewed a little presentation I
saw on this new function. Are you using the configurator to edit
this file, or are you trying to do it by hand? According to the
presentation, it is better to use the java tool. The default is
'filter-in'.
That  means you pick the events, and then you pick the smartsets,
and events that pass those two check are forwarded to T/EC.
It also says you can associate one or more smartsets with
each event. I suspect the operand in question is OR, though,
just as we do in the ruleset processing on Unix.  It will probably
check the event source against EACH of the smartsets, and
if it is in ANY of them, it goes. It is not clear to me, only having
seen a couple of screen shots, whether you can specify
different smartsets for different events. Perhaps not.

So my 'usual' would be Interface Up, Interface Down, Threshold,
and Rearm events, about nodes in my ToTec smartset.  Then
let the fancy work get done at the T/EC. That is a good starting
point, at any rate, and won't flood the T/EC. You can then
crank up what is in the ToTec smartset without impacting or
changing anything else.

Has anyone used this new configurator? I would imagine
that it is a big help, having done it the old way.

Detroit

pweischer@MMM.COM@tkg.com on 02/13/2001 01:11:23 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com