app. registration file and xnmappmon How-To Questions

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: app. registration file and xnmappmon How-To Questions
From: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:51:46 -0600
Hello.

NetView 6.0.2 (yeah!) on AIX 4.3.3. I'm still tinkering with xnmappmon and
invoking it from the Tools menu within NetView.

1)      According to the V6 Programmer's Guide page 27-28, to define the
application menu structure I have the option of using "f.menu" for a new
menu item. I can also use "f.action" for the application startup or "!" to
"invoke shell commands into the menu selections". Can someone provide an
example of the syntax for the "!" item or further clarify the use of this
item?

2)      Once (or if) I get xnmappmon to open correctly, I'd like to place
the help file contents into the lower portion (Messages section) of the
xnmappmon window. This will guide the user on how to use the application w/o
having to open help. I have a help file created and it works using the
Help>On Application selection. I tried using cat to stderr or cat to stdout
but neither worked. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car.