Loopback discovery on NV 6.0.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Loopback discovery on NV 6.0.1
From: "Dan Cassady" <cassadyd@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 02:38:41 -0500
 Hello,

I have a question concerning loopback discovery in v6.0.x.  According to

the release notes, Netview will now discover all lo0 addresses with

exception to 127.0.0.1.  While I understand the importance of this

feature, I have also run into a problem with duplicate lo0 addresses

on clustered pairs of servers.  The notes nor man pages mention how,

if possible, to stop netmon from discovery of lo0 addresses.  Does such

a way exist, with exception to discovering all interfaces, disabling

SNMP to the node, then deleting the unwanted interfaces.

As always, thanks in advance.

Dan Cassady
IBM Global Services--South
Netview 6.0.1
AIX 4.3.3

Response from James Shanks via IBM/Tivoli Internal Netview Forum:
You may want to give Support a call on this.  As far as I know there
 is NO WAY tohave netmon not discover an eligible interface on a
routerif SNMP is enabled, and if SNMP is not enabled then your
router will not be treated as a router.  Each interface would be traeted
as belonging to a separate box

Alternatively, you might want to put your question out to the public
list and see if you can get an answer from other users there about
they are doing.  Point your browser to www.tkg.con/nv-l and learn
how to subscribe or to browse the archives.  This internal list has
been deprecated -- none of the actual NetView developers maintain
VM accounts -- for some time.
James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support