Re: Comparing variables sent in traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Comparing variables sent in traps
From: "Jeffrey G. Fitzwater" <jfitz@Princeton.EDU>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 12:16:13 -0500
"Treptow, Craig" wrote:

> Hi.  We are running Netview 6.0.1 on AIX 4.3.  I have the frame-relay MIB
> loaded (1.3.6.1.2.1.10.32) and am receiving "frDLCIStatusChange" traps from
> our routers.  In our event definition we see that the third parameter passed
> is the new Circuit state (1=invalid, 2=active, 3=inactive).
>
> I can do logic with other traps (link_down, if link_up within 1 minute, then
> resolve and don't display), etc.  I would like to perform logic like this
> with the DLCI status change traps, but I'm not sure how I compare the values.
>  Does something allow me to compare the third parameter to a literal value,
> and then I can handle it similar to other things?
>
> I'll bet I'm just not understanding something in the rulesets well enough,
> but I'm not sure what, and I haven't found anything in the archives of this
> list that have helped me with this.
>
> Hints and ideas are appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Craig Treptow
> Principal Financial Group
> I/S Network Administration

Hi Craig.

Thats kind of what I am doing now and what I do is first build a simple ruleset
to capture the enterprize trap and then just send it to a shell script with an
ACTION tool.   In the script I first use the shell "export" command to bring in
the Netview variables I need ie.. NVA   NVATTR_<1-50>
See page 189 of admin guide.  Now the variables are there for the shell to use.

I used a simple AWK script to extract them.  Like this...

export NVA NVATTR_3
nawk '
BEGIN {
        print ENVIRON["NVA"] > "/tmp/dupaddr.nva"
        print ENVIRON["NVATTR_3"] > "/tmp/dupaddr.att3"

}'

You get the idea from this small piece.   You can do similar things with perl.