Re: MLM capacity? Managing nodes through a firewall?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MLM capacity? Managing nodes through a firewall?
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:04:21 -0500
I know of no documents nor studies on MLM capacity.  Unless someone else
wants to share their experiences, I think you are out of luck.

MLM can be used  across a firewall but that firewall must be open to SNMP
traffic over 161/UDP between the NetView server and the MLM, so that it can
communicate with netmon.  By default the traps from MLM to NetView are by
TCP and you need a port open for that.  Much more is required if you wish
to actually install the MLM remotely as opposed to installation off the CD,
and it would be easier to turn the firewall off to do this than try to keep
it up, or so I am told.    There is a new IBM redbook in the works covering
all this, and network management in general across a firewall, but it is
not available yet.  I will post that information here when I know more
about it.  In the meantime, other users who have actually done this will
have to respond with their experiences.   You might also profitably search
the archives to this forum and see what else you can find.   Note that MLM
is still just MLM.  It has not been enhanced at this point to do anything
special in a firewall environment.  So it will only discover on its own
subnet, period.   It can monitor more but then those nodes would have to be
discovered by netmon itself.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT