Re: NetView running non-root

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView running non-root
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:34:42 -0500
You have my sympathy, Les. That uncertainty is the very reason that
I always put it in my implementation contracts that I need root access
until the box is ready to turn over to production. Whenever you see
some odd behavior that you suspect may be related to your userid
or permissions, you will need to check it out with root access before
calling Support, if only so you can tell them that it works one way but
not the other.

It's mostly a question of territory, skills, and schedules. Your best
bet is to make friends with the Unix support team, so they will be
quick to respond when you need something done. Do not make
war, you will not win.

Oh, and if you keep track of all of the little things you have to do to
run that way, you can publish your own white-paper!

Detroit

lesdickert@nsimail.com@tkg.com on 03/14/2001 09:03:39 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com