Alternate Community Names

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Alternate Community Names
From: Montoya Vincent-O10501 <Vincent.Montoya@motorola.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:53:48 -0700
To All,
summary:
Running as root on system.
The /etc/snmpd.conf file was modified to have a community name "newcomm"
versus public and the Mgr /usr/OV/conf/communityNames.conf to reflect the
"newcomm" and I was not able to snmp poll the system.

detail:

Via Test-->IP/TCP/SNMP connectivity everything check OK for the system under
test. After changing the Mgr to reflect the modification everything checked
OK.
/usr/OV/conf/communityNames.conf
from:

to    :
newcomm

After modifying the agent /etc/snmpd.conf file:

from:
community public
to:
community newcomm

The snmp poll timed-out then the changes were backed out and everything
checked OK.

Then I made all the changes to reflect the new community name and tried
applying the netmon option to turn Always Use Alternate Community Names and
the following error ocurred:

 <<...OLE_Obj...>>

 <<...OLE_Obj...>>
The permissions on the /usr/OV/lrf/netmon.lrf are 644  wr r r.  What is OVs
1-23?

AIX Version 4.3
NetView Version 6.0
Seed file with non-snmp and snmp enabled agents. No ranges (wildcards) are
specified.
Mid-Level Management is beeing implemented.