RE: Controlling the Number of mail alerts

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Controlling the Number of mail alerts
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:03:14 -0400
I am still confused about what exactly you are doing.  We don't send alerts
or mails by default, so you must be talking about some customization which
you have set up.  I am guessing that you have configured the trap in
trapd.conf to do an automatic action which involves sending e-mail to
people.  And then you applied the filter, which reduces what you see on the
display, but that has no effect on trapd.  So you still get all the same
e-mails.  Is this the problem?

Well, if so, then the answer is that you will have to use a ruleset, rather
than an automatic action to send your e-mails.  That's why rulesets were
created, since there was no way to filter what trapd himself does.  trapd
has no filtering mechanism.  In fact, he schedules the e-mails are before
the event even goes to the user's screen.

Base on what little you have told us, my guess is that you would need to
create a ruleset like this:
     event stream (set to block) --> trap setting (whatever trap you used
before) --> threshold (last of 5) --> action (send the e-mail)

Does this make sense?

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT