community name for discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: community name for discovery
From: helmut.schroeder.hs@bayer-ag.de
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 16:05:46 +0200

you all,

this is netview 6.01 on aix 4.3.3, problems with community names
during node discovery, using ip wildcards in ovsnmp.conf:

communityNames.conf is empty

ovsnmp.conf (configured via gui)  is like:

 10.10.10.*:new_community ... # new range entry
*.*.*.*:default_community      ... # global default setting

the sequence of the entries is OK, and now trying to discover my node
10.10.10.1:
while trying to discover my new nodes, I can see all outgoing tcp requests
(tcpdump)
to the new node with the wrong community string "default_community"  instead of
'new_community'. getting authenticationFailure traps from my node and it
appears as isSNMP=False on the map ...

snmpwalk host1 system    -->    OK !
xnmsnmpconf -resolve hostname-->   OK !
xnmsnmpconf -resolve 10.10.10.1-->   OK !
cleared cache / did an ovstop / ovstart  ->  problem persists
setting single ip address (10.10.10.1) in ovsnmp.conf (via gui)  ->  problem
persists

setting hostname instead of ip address, in ovsnmp.conf   -->> OK !!
new_community is used ?!?
(name resolution in both ways OK)

any ideas will be greatly appreciated !!

Helmut Schroeder