Re: community name for discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: community name for discovery
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:48:06 -0400
Helmut, the part where it works for a name but not for an address was a
known
problem in 6.01 and I believe it is fixed in 6.02. I believe the wildcard
function is
supposed to still work, but I think it is probably not used very much since
they
gave us the communitynames.conf file. If you put your non-default community
strings in that file, netmon will try them at discovery, and add a node
entry in
xnmsnmpconf recording the correct one. snmpwalk does not check the
alternates,
so until the node has been added to xnmsnmpconf, you will have to specify
the community. It appears to me that in giving us this great new function,
the old function got a little rickety. But it is being repaired. So if you
have a
real need for the wildcard function, I suggest you call and open a ticket.

Detroit

helmut.schroeder.hs@bayer-ag.de@tkg.com on 04/05/2001 10:05:46 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com