Re: RMON and NwaysManager

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: RMON and NwaysManager
From: Jim Kellock <jkellock@nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 11:54:15 -0400
RMONitor was OEMed from 3Com.   When we first sold it, it was a product
of Axon, which was later acquired by 3Com.  Their product name is, I
believe, LanAlert, and should be available from 3Com.  In fact, what
3Com was selling last time I checked was a later version than what IBM
sold, which web interfaces and so forth. The Advanced RMONitor packaged
a product we called TrafficMonitor and which Axon/3Com calls Traffix.
This keeps a database of collected data from multiple rmon agents and
presents a network or enterprise view.

I think TrafficDirector from Cisco is the Frontier rmon product.  Cisco
bought Frontier some time ago.  There were some issues between RMONitor
and Frontier probes and agents at one point- the agents on Cisco devices
and Frontier probes returned some MIB variables in ways other than what
the rmon rfc requires and some tables were theefore not pulled into the
Axon/3COm product.

Usually better to match vendor for vendor with agents/applications.

Hope this helps.

Jim Kellock.