nvcorrd - query on netstat

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: nvcorrd - query on netstat
From: "Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@banksa.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:48:41 +0930
Hi

There have been a number of mentions in this list about the send & recv queue
figures for nvcorrd on a netstat -a display.

Since my AIX 4.3.3 production system was rebooted out from under Netview by an
IBM tech for hardware maintenance I have noticed that the netstat -a display
shows non-zero values for nvcorrd and a partner socket. These values vary from
time to time but never reach zero.

I also note that an ovstatus display shows that the trapgend & mgragentd
daemons report OVs_NON_WELL_BEHAVED status - this may be a red herring as this
is also the case on my development Netview system which was not rebooted and on
which the nvcorrd netstat report showes zero length on the queues.

The rule processing seems to be a bit flaky but it is also the case that the
production Netview box is handling a large number of traps in addition to the
normal network events.

Is this high queue length on nvcorrd a sign of a problem (in which case where
do I look?) or just a sign of a very busy box (in which case how do I tell how
close it is to choking to death?)

Cheers - Gavin

   *****   IMPORTANT INFORMATION    *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom
it is addressed and its content is not intended for use by
any other persons. If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately. Please also destroy and
delete the message from your computer. Any unauthorised form
of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited.
Bank SA is not liable for the proper and complete transmission
of the information contained in this communication, nor for any