Re: nvcorrd - query on netstat

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nvcorrd - query on netstat
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:56:25 -0400
Two things.  First the easy one.  OVs_NON_WELL_BEHAVED status is nothing to
be concerned about.  It just means that these daemons will not go away even
if their predecessors do, unlike ovtopmd for example, which will stop if
traps does.  This is a permanent condition and reflects how the daemons is
designed and not an error.  I believe this is explained in the Diagnosis
Guide.

Second, non-zero queues in netstat means a busy, busy process.  There are
things queued up for him to handle, which means he is working as hard as he
can in your environment, and is still somewhat behind.  The only way to
tell what is going on is to trace the daemon's activities, which for
nvcorrd is done with the nvcdebug command.  Type "nvcdebug -d all" and then
you can watch nvcorrd log what he is doing to /usr/OV/log/nvcorrd.alog and
blog.  Every thousand lines of output, the active log will switch from the
alog to the blog and back again.  If you stop and restart the daemon, the
contents of the alog are moved to the blog and he starts logging in the
alog first.    In the log you can see what traps are being processed and
how long it takes.  Look for the eyecatcher "Received a trap"   and
"finished with the trap".  Everything in between is nvcorrd processing that
one trap.  You can use the timestamps as a rough approximation about how
long it takes and perhaps see where the bottlenecks lie.   And you can
compare the timestamp of the event in trapd.log versus the finished with
the trap timestamp for the same trap in nvcorrd to see whether, and how
far,  behind nvcorrd is.

You can always contact Support if you want help with this.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@banksa.com.au>@tkg.com on 04/10/2001 07:18:41 PM