Re: Map Continually Synchronizing

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Map Continually Synchronizing
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:49:14 -0400
First, do you have a recent database backup (a tar file of
/usr/OV/databases/openview)? They are good for the nerves.

That  container sounds like a Location Icon created for you by definitions
in
the /usr/OV/conf/location.conf file. And you cannot cut and paste a
Location
Icon anyway. Netview will not let you. Check the location.conf file, and
the /usr/OV/log/location.log for clues.  I would probably stop everything,
remove the location.conf file for now, and restart everything and let the
daemons
run until the system idles out, then open a map and wait it out.

As for the long synchronizing, are you certain that it is unexpected, given
the size
of the database and the size of the system and its load? Check
the nettl log for error messages to go along with the synchronizing. Check
'vmstat 5' to see if you are cpu or memory constrained. Do you have a
'top' or 'monitor' tool to tell you which processes are using all of the
resources?  Have you kept the ovwdb cache setting high enough to
accomodate the object count? And have you considered the Turbo form
of the database (Appendix G in the Inst & config manual)? Or maybe
just a compression (same place).

If you have deleted (or cut) something central, like a core network, then
the map will
have a lot of work to do to delete all of the interfaces on that network.
Check
the event log to see if there are signs there if unexpected work being
done.

Detroit

Kevin Smith <c-kevin.smith1@wcom.com>@tkg.com on 04/17/2001 04:17:59 PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com