Re: Emulating Netview NT nvsniffer status on Unix?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Emulating Netview NT nvsniffer status on Unix?
From: Bernard Disselborg <bdisselb@triple-p.nl>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:50:21 +0200
Leslie,

I've done this, albeit on OpenView NNM, it took me about a day.
The netcheck command behaves the same on OpenView and NetView.
I've created a perl script and and an external config file containing hosts
and portnumbers.
When the port becomes unavailable a trap is generated (same when it becomes
available again).
The traps control the notification (colour changes, messages), as I did it
on OpenView I can't comment on wteu or APM.
You have to create some polling mechanism to run the script every 5 minutes
or so... You can use the cron for this or create a daemon-like script. To
let it all happen within (in my case) OpenView, I've misused the
datacollector for this.

HTH

Bernard