Re: ovwdb: strange objects

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ovwdb: strange objects
From: "Francois Le Hir/Quebec/IBM" <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:38:42 -0400
Hi,

I am running Netview 6.02 on AIX 4.3.3

I also have about 120 entries with strange "FIELD VALUE": "Selection Name"
or "Selection Name+Number" or just a Number.
I also have lots of entries in the same field with "REMOVED:Name" or with
the name of a machine that has been removed from the network for years. Is
this normal ?

I migrated this database from Netview 5.1 to Netview 6 and I know it was
migrated from Netview 4 before and probably even from an earlier version.
I don't know if it's growing : this is the first time I see these entries.

When I did the migration from Netview 5.1, I asked support if it was normal
to have such a big database for the size of our network. I was told that it
was not a problem.
We have about 300 routers, 500 servers and less than 20 000 computers on
the network.
ovobjprint gives me 132816 objects in database and this number is growing.

should I be concerned about the size of my database ?
I know it would be good for cleaning to rediscover the network, but it's
such a work to put every node back in it's place that I am little bit
afraid to start such a process. It is possible to restart a discovery in a
new map while operator are doing production work on the original map on the
same server ?

Thanks,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services