Re: snmp polling

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmp polling
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 21:30:00 -0400
- You cannot have snmp polling on some interfaces and not on others on
the same device.

- If the interfaces in question are not represented in the MIB II Interface
table,
snmp polling will not work (this is the case with a variety of devices that
support secondary addressing but don't fully populate the interface table.)

- If snmp is not active or responsive on the device, it will turn red, even
though
ping would have worked.

- If you manually do a Test...Ping to an interface that is up via snmp but
not
reachable via ping, I'm pretty sure it will get turned red until the next
cycle.
But Test...Quicktest uses the designated method.

- Polling with SNMP takes a lot more resources in terms of the management
station, the network, and the devices than does ICMP. It is intended to be
the
exception and not the rule. It is intended, actually, to provide a way to
show
status for unnumbered serial interface, which have nothing to be pinged.
So watch for unintended impact.

- Check the man page for netmon for more information. I think there is an
option to cause it to use ping on a demandpoll regardless.

Detroit

"Duble, Ethan" <Ethan.Duble@coopertools.com>@tkg.com on 05/10/2001 11:21:58
AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com