Netview Maint. Issues and Problems

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Netview Maint. Issues and Problems
From: Dean Sullinger <DSullinger@dot.state.az.us>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:05:05 -0700
Sorry, I don't mean to change off the subject I was talking about, but we
are experiencing a problem this week with our Netview and it shows it's ugly
head occasionally and I am looking for recommendations of keeping this from
happening or how we can recover somewhat soothly.

Here's the scoop, on Tuesday some idiot in the computer room pluged an
electrical appliance they weren't supposed to on our dedicated circuit for
Netview, which in turn blew the breaker and we lost power to Netview. We are
running Netview on a Sun E3500 with 2GB RAM, 60GB HD, Solaris 2.6 and
Netview 5.1.1 with Framework 3.6 with about 19,000 items in our database
with only about 300 of them being managed.  When it came back up, Netview
would not demand poll.  We waited about 20min and it still would not demand
poll.  I then did a ovstop and ovstart and waited to see if it would come
back and it did not.  I then stopped netmon and ran ovmapcount-a and
ovtopofix -a just to try and clean any problems up.  I then restarted netmon
and Netview and waited about 20min and it sitll would not demand poll.  At
this point we rebooted and waited... about 3+ hours later it began demand
polling.

Please excuse my stupidity on the subject, but my job is to support the
Network... I got stuck with the job of supporting the Sun equipment because
I know UNIX and Solaris... it's something I do when I can get time to mess
with it.

Right now we are in the same spot... something went wrong and we had to
restart the services and it is not demand polling.

Anyone have any ideas before I call support?

 --
Dean Sullinger
Arizona Deptartment of Transportation

Email   : dean@dot.state.az.us