RE: Netview Maint. Issues and Problems

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Netview Maint. Issues and Problems
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:43:51 -0400
Congratulations on your upgrade!

I do the housekeeping manually, yes, but then I am only there for a
week or so and the database is actively changing while I am messing
with it. In real life people automate this. I would save the output,
though,
and review it later just in case. You would be looking for things like
'Please
delete..', which usually go away by themselves when the map is reopened
but occasionally need help. You are also looking for the unexpected. That
takes a person. But automating it is better than forgetting to do it.

You might need to use the Turbo form if you have devices with lots of
interfaces. Those are not discovered properly until you do. You might
also convert if it is running slowly. I think people usually  convert after
they call Support for some wierd problem and are advised to convert.
I seem to be using it everywhere these days, though. Big switches!

And Kevin makes a good point about backing up other things with the
database. In particular, there are certain files that need to match the
database, like location.conf, seedfile, oid_to_type and oid_to_sym.
Once those are stabilized, you might count on your full-system backup
to cover them along with the rest of /usr/OV/conf. But while things are
still evolving, you might want to collect those as well.

Detroit

Dean Sullinger <DSullinger@dot.state.az.us>@tkg.com on 05/30/2001 05:35:09
PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com