RE: Polling is slow

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Polling is slow
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 14:49:33 -0400
Are these other boxes NetView boxes?
Remember that NetView has to ping every managed interface in your entire
network every five minutes (that's the standard default), which means it is
doing an enormous number of lookups compared to what other boxes do.  If
each DNS call is slowed by even a second, you'll see it in NetView.  And if
you are having strange problems with ping, the netmon is going to crawl.  I
don't know where to tell you to look, but it sounds to me as if you have
just confirmed that the real problem is outside of NetView and there is
probably nothing you can do inside NetView to solve it.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

Dean Sullinger <DSullinger@dot.state.az.us>@tkg.com on 05/22/2001 02:33:37