Re: Unable to discover nodes using SNMP status Was: OIDs Seedfiles and S

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Unable to discover nodes using SNMP status Was: OIDs Seedfiles and SNMP status polling
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 18:51:57 +0100
I do not believe discovery can work unless you can get at least 1 ping
through the firewall.  If you watch your ping queue (netmon -a 12 and
tail /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace) you will see nodes that have been
detected through the discovery algorithm, appear on the ping queue.
However, NetView won't put nopdes into the object database unless he has
done a siuccessful ping.  The "poll via SNMP" mechanism only seems to
cut in ONCE the node is in the database.

I have 2 solutions, neither ideal:
1) Negotiate a "discovery window" with your fiirewall guys when they
open up ping on the firewall (I have been successful with this,
particularly if you are trying to manage a DMZ - you may find they are
prepared to disconnect from the Internet for a window and enable ping
for you.  I suggest you have a good seedfile ready to speed up your
doscovery).
2) Manually add all devices beyond the firewall - if the number of
devices is small, this isn't prohibitive.

A third option I haven't tried but which might work is to add into the
database using loadhosts.  With all of these, I assume you have SNMP
polling setup in your seedfile for the relevant nodes.

If you try to get around this with MLM, you find exactly the same thing
- MLM discovers nodes, tells NetView, but again NetView doesn't add to
the database until he has got a ping through.

Has anyone else got any input to this??  I have now seen the same
requirement with a number of customers and we are so close to having a
good solution.  If the discovery algorithm might be tweaked to no longer
mandate a successful ping before entry into the database, particularly
if nodes are designated SNMP-poll or discovered via MLM.

Cheers, Jane

--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565