Re: how to manage Nokia devices? (snmp v3)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: how to manage Nokia devices? (snmp v3)
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 12 Jun 2001 13:58:12 -0500

James_Shanks@tivoli.com writes:
> My understanding of snmpV3 was that it basically allowed a more
> complex security mechanism, but that all the underlying structure
> from V2 remained the same.

That's reasonably correct AFAICT.  v3 defined an encryption
infrastructure without creating a new the underlying PDU format.

> Maybe I am ignorant but I was not aware that the format of traps had
> changed between snmpV3 and snmpV2.  Have you tried sending traps ot
> the NetView box?  If so, do you get error messages in trapd.log or
> what?

The latest I've heard is that if you can convince the device to send
teh v3 traps unencrypted, and you ignore some fields in the header of
the packet, it might work.

Still waiting to get my paws on one of these boxes for testing,
though.