Re: Force Discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Force Discovery
From: "Perry J. Spada" <pspada@telcordia.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:44:30 -0400

Steve,

Obviously try pinging the server first from your NetView server. You may
also want to check your NetView log for error messages for that device.
Lastly, check the subnet mask of the server to see if it correlates with
the subnet which it is located on. We discovered a problem with NetView/NT
6.02 which prevents a device with a higher level subnet mask (Ex.
255.255.0.0) from being discovered on an existing subnet with a lower level
subnet mask (Ex. 255.255.255.0). Tivoli has opened an APAR (PJ27891) on it.
If you can't get the server administrator to change the subnet mask, you
can force NetView to discover the device by manually adding it with the
subnet mask of the subnet it is located on.

Hope this helps,

Perry Spada
Telcordia

                    "Stamper, Steve"

                    <Steve_Stamper@for        To:     "'IBM NetView
Discussion'" <nv-l@tkg.com>
                    emost.com>                cc:     (bcc: Perry J.
Spada/Telcordia)
                                              Subject:     [NV-L] Force
Discovery
                    06/14/01 10:29 AM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

NetView-101 question.

I have a subnet that contains a whole bunch of servers - all being seen by
NetView just fine.  I have a single server that simply will not be
discovered!  It's in my seedfile (netmon was restarted) and I can manually
enter it into MIBbrowser and see snmp values.  Been this way for a week now
even after several restarts of NetView.

What part of class did I sleep through?

Thanks² - Steve Stamper
Grand Rapids, MI