Réf. : RE: RFI not very useful?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Réf. : RE: RFI not very useful?
From: thierry.van-mol@ciev.vd.ch
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:41:46 +0200
Thank you  all for the suggestions you gave.

I understand that "yellow is bad", and that RFI could be very usefull
in some network topology. However in my case, it make sense that an
interface down is not as severe as a router down: some sites are
connected with 2 serial lines to 2 different backbone routers for
redundancy. Same reasons plays against James suggestion of changing
the default propagation rule. So I think I am still going to turn
off RFI here.

Thierry

On 28.06.2001 20:39:15 "Scott Barr" wrote:
>Two additional comments
>
>RFI is most useful for routers sitting in front of server farms. We page
>when a server is unreachable. If a router goes down, and the entire server
>farm is down, you would then page on each and every node. RFI prevents the
>node down traps from the devices sittting behind the router. It also
>suppresses the pings until the router is back up.
>
>The second point I would make is that the scenario you mentioned assumes a
>serial link - i.e. a router at the end of a phone line. In our
environment,
>we have routers connected between token ring and ethernet segments and in
>that case, you will not get a local router sending a link down trap. In
the
>serial link example, the local router would send a link down trap.

Router