Re: Selection Name missing domain suffix

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Selection Name missing domain suffix
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:50:30 +0100
Sounds like maybe your /etc/netsvc.conf file has been changed /
removed?  This is the file consulted when any name/address lookup is
done to decide the order to use the various lookup mechanisms.  I have
the following in mine:
   hosts = local4, bind4
This says use /etc/hosts first and then use DNS (the "4"s say use IPV4
not IPV6)..  /etc/hosts simply has the FQDN of my NetView system,
aliased to its short name, and an entry for loopback.  These are so that
my AIX can bootup before named gets going.

If you are working on Solaris, the file is /etc/nsswitch.conf and the
syntax is:
   hosts:    files dns

Cheers,
Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565