Re: Selection Name missing domain suffix

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Selection Name missing domain suffix
From: "Les Dickert" <lesdickert@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:15:25
Linda,

Remember that nslookup does not look
at the /etc/hosts file, so it doesn't
really give the complete picture.

Try this:  put a bogus entry in /etc/hosts
then do an nslookup on that entry (forward
and reverse) and notice that nslookup won't
find it.

However, the resolver will use /etc/hosts, and
if you have told the resolver (via /etc/resolv.conf)
to use /etc/hosts, then dns, then NetView is going
to do that and pick up reverse names from /etc/hosts
if they are in there.  There is no nslookup type
program that queries /etc/hosts, I guess no one
thinks they need it since /etc/hosts is an ascii
file and grep will do fine.

So, if you have added host names into /etc/hosts
without the domain suffix, NetView will eventually
find and use them.

Les