Re: Selection Name missing domain suffix

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Selection Name missing domain suffix
From: "Linda Parry" <lparry@MetLife.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:13:28 -0400
Les,  Thank you .. but I think something else is wrong.  A ping does not
use the fully qualified name.  The nslookup command reponds with fully
qualified names reverse and forward lookup.  We do have a hosts file in
/etc  which we use to create the dns files  (it has some aliases with fully
qualified names).  However... when I remove the hosts file (rename it to
something else)  then my ping will use the fully qualified name. The system
is using the hosts file first then dns.  It seems that the machine is not
reading my resolv.conf file for whatever reason.  We have not changed this
file and it looks identical to another system we are running which is
working fine.  It seems like a DNS issue for the machine.  NOT sure why
this is happening.  Short term I may just rename the HOSTS file.