Re: Maps keep on Synchronize

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Maps keep on Synchronize
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:38:17 -0400
 You can expect slow synchronization of a new map, because  synchronization
is the process whereby the open map is made current by the data from the
topology database.  How did you run ovtopofix?  With the -a (little a)
option or the -A (big A) option?  Once you have more than one map, you
should be running the -a option only, as the man page will tell you, else
you will bring about the need to update every object on every map, not just
the ones which have recently changed.  In any case, synchronization is
required, and it will be slow at least for the first time for every new map
you create.

The blue stuff means that somehow in your customization you have made an
error during your cut-and-paste operations.  Either you have moved things
illegally and now the are in the user plane (they will have a shadow around
them if this is the case) or you have removed some underlying object whose
status is to be propagated up to give the blue thing (node, segment,
network) its status, and without something below it, it has none of its
own.   You will have to look into each case individually and compare what
is on the default map, which is presumably OK,  with what you have on each
of  the new maps, to see what is wrong.  This will be  a case-by-case
thing.

Perhaps you would be better off by deleting 6 of your seven maps and
starting over, fixing that one, before creating others.  I have never heard
of anyone successfully building seven new maps at one time.

Each map can have a default submap and this is set on a per map basis from
the GUI.  It cannot be different for a different user.  I take it that is
why you decided to create seven maps in the first place, so that each user
could have his own map.  Well, each user can set the default submap (or you
can do it in each amp before you give it to them) under the File -->
Describe Map function when the map is opened read-write.  You cannot
specify it on the startup command.

To set it, each user brings up the map in question  "netview -map ABC -rw"
(note that this is the same command as the archaic "nv6000" which has been
deprecated and will disappear in some future release, so you should get in
the habit of using "netview").   Once the map is open read-write by that
user, he can make it his default map (using File --> Open Map)   as well as
set the default home submap (by using File -->Describe Map).  Then he will
just have to type in "netview"  next time and he will get the correct map
opened to the correct submap.

My advice is to pursue your customization in small steps.  That way when
you make a mistake, and you will because everyone does, you will not have
so much to do to recover.

Hope this helps.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support