RE: Netmon died

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Netmon died
From: "Scott Barr" <scott_barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:32:54 -0500
Two things I can think of that have killed netmon recently on my system:

1. Demand poll a Microsoft NT server. This kills netmon on both my
production and backup systems. Does not seem to be happening with config or
status polls etc. I haven't ever gotten around this but have been beating on
the microsoft agent to find the problem. (PMR64800 - problem still appears
to be Microsoft SNMP agent)

2. Discovery of a device with an inappropriate address. We have a "sentinel"
device that serves as a dial in access point for our telephone switches.
When NETMON would discover this device (which has an ethernet interface to
talk to the switch) we would discover and address of 0.0.0.1 with a
255.255.255.0 mask. NETMON would die every time he found one of these
devices. This is supposed to be corrected in next release (or maybe already
is, not sure of PMR number).

I guess what I am saying is that if netmon dies frequently, it may be
discovery killing it and not a seed file problem. You might try turning off
discovery