TIPN Inventory - NV Nodes Problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: TIPN Inventory - NV Nodes Problem
From: "Cowan, Chris" <Chris.Cowan@2ndwaveinc.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:12:44 -0500

Since we've had a problem with TIPN Inventory that has been open for 3 months with support, I thought I'd share it with the list, and see if anyone has run into this.    In a nutshell, we noticed of that nv_nodes table was not being loading.    (nv_interfaces, nv_segments, and nv_networks load just fine).  Our platform is Solaris 2.7 with recent kernel patches, and NV 6.0.1 or 6.0.2.

We had about 6 production setups of NetView of which about 4 were malfunctioning.    The ones that were working were running TMF 3.6.2 with patches.  We believe we have isolated the probem in our testing to the libtmf.so in TMF 3.6.4 (and also 3.7.x).  When we perform this upgrade, we get an "UNHANDLED EXCEPTION LOOKING UP FIELDS" message and the nv_nodes table is not loaded.   Tracing the RIM does not help, BTW.  This exception is thrown before the upload through the RIM is attempted.

Support claims that they are unable to reproduce this problem, by the application of the TMF patch.    So, most recently we tried several things including multiple orders of installation for the TMF, Inv, NV, and TIPN components required.   In all cases, we are consistently able to cause the failure with the TMF 3.6.4 patch.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or does this ring a bell with you in any way.   If so, feel free to contact me.

<<Christopher Cowan (E-mail).vcf>>