2212 APPN Memory Leak

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: 2212 APPN Memory Leak
From: jon traynor <jon.traynor@uk.tesco.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:22:24 +0100
Hi,

We have a large IBM 2212/6 network which among other things, runs APPN. We
have problems with APPN memory constraints, which eventually leads to critical
levels of memory usage and hence APPN on the router falls over. I have had
discussions with IBM and they tell me that the 2212s do not trap APPN
constraints, though critical memory use of APPN  would and thus will send an
alert to Netview. The problem is that when the memory is critical, APPN
fallsover and I want to know before that happens so we can resolve it, before
we have a failing situation.

I have downloaded a Netview APPN memmib which certainly gives me the levels of
memory available against memory in use, but what I want to know is how I can
configure Netview to poll for this information and trap accordingly to
pre-defined thresholds?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as this particular problem when
it occurs on our nodal 2216s has caused VTAM problems which has resulted in
IPLing the mainframe.

Many thanks,
 Jon Traynor

 ---- Disclaimer ----
 This is an e-mail from the Tesco Plc (Company No.445790) Group of companies.
 The contents of this e-mail are confidential.

 Neither Tesco Plc nor any group company accepts responsibility for the
 accuracy or completeness of the contents of this e-mail as it has been
 transmitted over a public network. If you receive this e-mail in error
 please accept our apology. If this is the case we would be obliged if you
 would contact the sender and then delete this e-mail.

 This e-mail and/or any replies to it, and any attachments may be
 intercepted , copied or monitored by the Tesco Group of companies for the
 purpose of monitoring or keeping record of its business and for the
 purposes set out in the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practices)
 (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.

 All statements made in this e-mail are subject to contract. The contents are
 not to be regarded as a contractural offer or acceptance. The sender is not
 authorised to bind Tesco Plc or any Group company. The views expressed in
 this e-mail are those of the sender and not necessarily those of Tesco Plc
 or any Group company.