Re: Understanding Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Understanding Netview
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:17:14 +0100
reamd@Nationwide.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>           I need to understand how netview knows how an interface is down
> on a network device. Does netview ping every interface or does it ping the
> learned IP and then snmpget for the status of the rest of the interfaces?
> Thanks, Dave

Dave - it depends.....
The default mechanism is that NetView will ping every interface that it knows
about, every 5 minutes.  You have great flexibility to configure this polling
interval for nodes, networks or SmartSet collections.

With 6.0.1 and later, if a box supports SNMP, it can tell NetView if it has
Unnumbered Serial interfaces - if that happens, NetView will automatically
swap from ping-polling to SNMP-polling that box.

You also have the choice to customise any nodes you wish to use SNMP-polling,
rather than ping-polling.  You do this either via netmon's seedfile or via
customising the oid_to_type file in /usr/OV/conf.

For SNMP-polled nodes (whether user configured or auto-configured), the
polling interval is the same as configured in the usual SNMP configuration
panel (Options -> SNMP Configuration) - ie. use the same panel entry for
ping-polling and SNMP-polling.

Hope that helps,
Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565