RE: "RE: command line interface" - my 2 cents

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: "RE: command line interface" - my 2 cents
From: "Tremblay, David A." <dtremblay@jhancock.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:18:48 -0400
Scott,

<FLAME-THROWER ON LOW BURN>

How big is the network that you support with NetView?   Ours has over 30,000
interfaces plus 1,000s of routers, switches and other network equipment
(others on this discussion group have much LARGER NETWORKS).   When a MAJOR
change occurs such as when we move a few subnets in a weekend,  we need to
delete 100's of nodes using the GUI not by a CLI script that could do it
much faster and more efficiently.   The fact that extra time needs to by
using the GUI to delete objects is UNACCEPTABLE especially with a product
that is functionally mature.  It is preferred in the IT field to automate
where possible to save time, money and effort which the current GUI
limitation does not allow that.

To tell you the truth, just the day to day maintenance of our map (and
others with more devices) could justify a CLI so that automation could be
accomplished.   We already automate our discovery process which is our
seedfile is feed by our inventory database on a nightly basis.  It's just
too bad that we can't AUTOMATE the deletion of objects on a nightly basis
instead of MANUALLY having to maintain the maps.

I could give other examples but the point is, we the NetView customer needs
a way to be able to AUTOMATE the map maintenance process.   And with the
current method is tied directly to the GUI, we cannot do that now can we?

I hope this answers your question.

<FLAME-THROWER OUT OF FUEL>

Dave

David A. Tremblay              John Hancock Financial Services
Lead Systems Analyst       Corporate Technology Services
Boston, MA   02117