Re: how to add Cisco traps to NV

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: how to add Cisco traps to NV
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:27:09 -0400
Catalina -

I am afraid you are confused about what this does and how it works.
You did not add any MIBs (that is, you did not load any MIBs) into NetView
with the nvaddtrapdconf command.
What you did was to (try to) merge the trapd.conf file you already have
with one in /usr/OV/newconfig/OVSNMP-RUN/trapd.conf
This adds trap definitions not MIBS.
Some MIBs do contains trap definitions, and NetView provides mib2trap as a
way of extracting them.  Then you have to run the output of mib2trap (which
is an script containing a series of addtrap commands) to load the trap defs
into NetView.  But the trapd.conf in
/usr/OV/newconfig/OVSNMP-RUN/trapd.conf already contains trap definitions
for the most commonly issued Cisco traps.  So rather than extract all those
individually, you can use the  nvaddtrapdconf  to merge the sample which
already contains them with the one you already have and get them added in
on fell swoop.

But the error message you are receiving means that the trapd.conf you
started with contains an error.  The error message is from grep, which
cannot accept a line length of greater than 2048 characters (this is an AIX
K shell restrictions, and I believe it is true of all UNIX varieties), and
grep is used internally by nvaddtrapdconf.  So someone in your original
trapd.conf I suspect that there is a very long line.  I don't know how it
got there.   We recommend that no construct in trapd.conf exceed 99 words.
You can try to use /usr/OV/install/tools/checktrapdconf to find the line
which is too long.             My advice is to make a backup copy of
/usr/OV/conf/C/trapd.conf (in case you mess it up) and then edit it and
remove or shorten this very long line.  it is probably a trap description,
which should be could just be deleted.  Then run nvaddtrapdconf again and
all should be well, provided that you have done the edit correctly.  If
trapd won't load this file after you have done this, or if it dies trying
to load the file, or you are just at a loss on how to proceed, then you
should conatct Support for assistance and use your backup file in the
meantime.

There were no specific aironet traps included in this merge.  I don't even
know whether Cisco has any.  The traps which are included are those which
appear in the Cisco MIBs in /usr/OV/snmp_mibs.  You will probably have to
obtain the specific Cisco MIBs for  aironet devices and proceed on the
mib2trap route.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT