Re: Cisco MIBs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Cisco MIBs
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:18:16 -0400
Not fair!....James does not have the same network devices that
you have. And what you need loaded will depend on how the
devices are configured.

Other users with those devices may be willing to tell you what
they loaded. But here is the brute force approach.

First, unload all of the Cisco mibs that you have loaded except
those pre-loaded by Netview at install time (they will show up
first in the list of loaded mibs, and I believe there are three of them.)

Then, for each type of device, go to the mib browser and do a
Start Query from the 'private' branch and let it rip. Any dotted
decimals in the output indicate a mib that needs to be loaded.
Use grep in /usr/OV/snmp_mibs to find the last word shown on
an output line that needs further definition. Find the file containing
the next definition and load it. Keep this up until all of the output
shows words instead of dotted decimal. The output of a MIB
query beginning at Private covers every question that the snmp
agent on that box knows the answer to.

This will give you everything you could ever possibly need,
and none of what you don't need. Not that you will ever
need all of it.....

Detroit

                    "Barr, Scott"

                    <Scott_Barr@csgsy       To:     "IBM NetView Discussion
(E-mail)"
                    stems.com>               <nv-l@tkg.com>

                    Sent by:                cc:

                    owner-nv-l@tkg.co       Subject:     [NV-L] Cisco MIBs

                    09/04/01 10:15 AM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Okay, this message is primarily for James.

We had a conversation a while back on Cisco MIBs and which ones to load
etc.

I am about to upgrade my servers to Solaris 2.8 and I am starting fresh. I
need to load MIBs to support the following Cisco devices:

Cisco 7200
Cisco 4000
Cisco 3620/40
Cisco 25xx
Cisco 65xx (switch)
Cisco 55xx (switch)
Cisco 2948 (switch)
Cisco 35xx (switch)
Cisco "probe" (for use with Traffic Director)
Cisco Pix 520 Firewalls

I would like to load "everything" I might need. Where would you believe to
be the minimum / maximum set of MIBs to be loaded or if you haven't the
time to answer that, what methodology (re: puny brain process) could I
apply to make rational decisions about which MIBs to load?

                                                                 Scott Barr
                                                   Network Systems Engineer
                                                                CSG Systems
                                                        Phone: 402-431-7939