Re: hostname change

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: hostname change
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:07:00 -0400
See comments below...

Detroit

                    "CATALINA MARTINEZ"

                    <CATALINA.MARTINEZ@tlc.st       To:     <nv-l@tkg.com>

                    ate.tx.us>                      cc:

                    Sent by:                        Subject:     Re: [NV-L]
hostname change
                    owner-nv-l@tkg.com

                    09/04/01 09:35 AM

                    Please respond to IBM

                    NetView Discussion

Leslie,

On the production box, I installed 6.0.2, Framework 3.7.1, and AIX 4.3.3
from scratch. I ftp'd the /usr/OV/databases and SNMP configuration from a
separate box which was running 6.0 over to the new production box 6.0.2. I
had to run the reset_ci. (Support helped me on this). When I moved it into
production (6.0.2), I only changed the IP address.

Question: Does what you mention apply to the scenerio above?
>> No. That is fine. You only changed the address, and not the name. Moving
>> the database is usually not a problem.

I am currently trying to install a copy of the current production box
(6.0.2, 3.7.1) into a backup box. The name and ip address of the backup box
WILL be changed. But that's where I am running into problems. If the way I
originally did the install is ok's , then I should be able to do the same
on the backup box..(installl everything from scratch and just ftp'd the
databases).

Question: Do you know some of the complications that occur if you change
the hostname or IP address?

>> As long as you change the hostname and address before installing
Framework,
>> then you should not have a problem. You are not really changing anything
>> from the Framework point of view. If you then install Netview in the
>> presence of a migration filesystem, and then do the reset_ci and
mapadmin
>> commands, you should have nearly identical systems, at least as far as
your
>> customization is concerned.

On the current production box, occassionally, all the gui's shutdown. I
have a call open with support. I installed the new ipmap daemon/e-fix but
it happened again after the install. I am just wondering if the ipaddress
change would have caused these gui problems.

>> Possibly, but I doubt it. If your users are using X emulation, you
should
>> be sure to run the performance tuning function of the X emulator. I have
>> seen maps crash (especially after a File...Refresh) if you don't do that
step.

Thanks

>>> lclark@us.ibm.com 09/03/01 08:28AM >>>
If you read the 6.0.2 release notes carefully, you will find a section
in which it is stated that the hostname should NOT be changed
after Netview is installed. It has been determined that no set of
instructions has ever  been found that will guarantee success
in this endeavor. Your changed system will work fine, but you
may well find down the road that subsequent maintenance will
not install because of hidden inconsistencies in the Tivoli
database.

If you must change the name after the install, plan on re-installing
in the future. If you have time to do it now, do a migration reinstall
following the instructions in the Release Notes. Basically it
boils down to taking a Netview backup that creates a new
filesystem, deinstalling Netview and Framework, correcting
the hostname, reinstalling Framework; then, in the presence
of that filesystem, do a new Netview install. It will merge in your
changes.

Or just add an alias instead of changing the hostname.

Detroit

                    Francisca Martinez
                    Moreno/Spain/Contr       To:     nv-l@tkg.com

                    /IBM@IBMES               cc:

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     [NV-L] hostname
change
                    owner-nv-l@tkg.com

                    08/30/01 02:34 AM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Hi Catalina:
                          This comman is wrong in the Release Notes---I had
the same problem--.:

idlattr -t -s versioning...............              ´
"$DBDIR/file_versions" ´ .  First   the: '  and followed the quotation mark
"

I hope this help you. I  don't have many luck. I have opened  the pmr with
Tivoli

Saludos.

Paqui Martinez Moreno
Tfno 91-3979273